Playing the Domination mission our way - insanely fun.

A place for discussions on ArmA I & II

Moderators: ShunnedSAMURAI, Moderators

Evil_Echo

Playing the Domination mission our way - insanely fun.

Postby Evil_Echo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:33 pm

No one should ever claim my clan has all it's marbles. But insane genius is highly entertaining.

One of the most popular missions on public ArmA servers is Domination. The creator ( Xeno ) made a number of variations including support for ACE. Two reasons Domination is so popular is that it includes a series of primary objective and side missions; and it has the team structure to make a 60 player mission feel natural. The teams start out with no armor or combat air support. You earn vehicles if you complete the objectives, so the tank and air fans have to do their time as ground-pounders first to help earn access to their favorite rides. Domination missions can run for hours or even a couple days.

So what does DRTB do? We play it on our dedicated server with just a handful of players. We like a challenge. :-)

The defenses out there are formidable even when you have the normal quorum of team mates. The enemy is well dug in, heavy infantry, armor, some howitzers, mobile AA systems, transport choppers providing reinforcements as long as communication towers are up, attack choppers, and jets. Not to mention they occasionally raid your main base.

While insane, we aren't stupid. A frontal assault vs those forces would be suicidal. So we go after the side missions and build up our toys a bit. And fight like DRTB always does - sneaky. Last night it was Marshal and myself vs the entire North Sahrani army. He took the engineer slot so he could do some repairs and I took artillery observer so I could call in the occasionally support strike. But that meant I had to lug around a backpack radio - bulky and heavy so it limits what else I can carry.

The mission must have had it in for us, the secondary target was inside the primary target zone. Groannnnn. Ok, we're going to take the small city of Barango too. Fortunately that is where I created most of my training missions so we know the area very well.

We grabbed a transport chopper and proceded to air-lift a mobile HQ to a "safe" location east of Barango in a forest clearing. The MHQ can provide ammunition and ATVs to get around with as well as offering a quick way to teleport back and forth to the main base. Good plan, only the enemy had a number of Shilka AAA vehicles along the coastline that saw our low-flying bird and decided to use us for target practice. Marshal managed to maintain control and released the MHQ undamaged before making a safe, but ugly landing. We went out into the woods to find the Shilkas and make them pay, which they did thanks to some AT rockets from cover and a salvo of high-explosive shells. Then repair the chopper and resume the airlift.

Side missions are usually well-guarded. Primaries often have a brigade or larger in the area. So as expected, the place was crawling with armor, troops, and air support. Deploying a .50 cal MG tripod and a few Stinger missiles dealt with the initial air cover for a while. Then it was time for careful recon, clearing the east edge of town of troops with some sniping and a claymore. Then we spotted the armor, pulled back and put down artillery to knock out or cripple them. Next were the enemy howitzers and radio links - DPICM for the gun crews and HE for tower. Scout, snipe, salvo, repeat. All with constant voice chat and heavy use of markers on the mission map to designate targets for each other.

Sure it took a couple hours, but it was really fun. We got killed a couple times along the way, but no frustration with that. When the evening session was over we had completed the secondary mission and captured the primary as icing on the cake.

Don't let low counts for your team hold you back. Just use your head and have fun.
I am fear.

Ascend

Postby Ascend » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Evil_Echo

Postby Evil_Echo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:10 am

Thank you. Hearing that means a lot.
I am fear.

Return to “Armed Assault I & II”